Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM)
MicroSense Vibrating Sample Magnetometers (VSMs) are the easiest to use and most sensitive vibrating sample magnetometers available. Whether you are measuring magnetic moment and coercivity of thin films or studying the magnetic properties of liquids, powders, or bulk samples, the MicroSense VSMs will give you the easiest and most accurate magnetic measurements.
Features of the EZ VSMs
- 0.7 x 10-7 emu (70 nemu, 0.07 nAm2) noise at room temperature
- 4x 10-7 emu noise at temperature is at least 2.5 times lower than noise of competing systems
- 10 mm ID of continuous range temperature chamber allows for larger samples and 2.5 times more signal than competing 7.1 mm ID or smaller temperature chambers
- Because of the > 2.5 times lower noise and the larger sample space, MicroSense VSMs offer > 6x higher Signal to Noise Ratio than competing VSMs (when used with temperature option)
- Fields to > 3.6 Tesla, 3.12 Tesla with medium sized EZ9HF, 2.54 Tesla with EZ9HF and temperature option
- Optional sweep option with sweep speeds up to 10,000 Oe/s (1T/s) (not suitable for all samples at maximum speed)
- Up to 1000 points per second data collection.
- Lowest field noise: less than 5 mOe RMS is > 10 times lower than the field noise of competing systems
- Temperature options from 4.2K to 1050K
- Automatic Sample Rotation is standard
- Vector option with 5 x 10-7 emu noise is 10 times more sensitive than competing systems and EZ9 system with vector option in place can achieve a maximum field of 2.25 Tesla, 1 Tesla higher than some similar sized systems
- 4 systems in one: VSM, Torque, Magneto Resistance and MOKE
- Fast and Easy to use with oven/cryostat always installed on the measurement system and ready for use
- Air Cooled Magnet Power Supply
- Space saving, flexible design with all components mounted on wheels for easy lab reconfiguration
Unrivaled field control
The MicroSense VSMs are suitable for measuring samples with a very low coercivity as well as samples with high coercivities. The unrivaled real-time field control system makes measurements possible on samples that can not be measured in other commercial electromagnet based VSMs. The low field noise enables the measurement of very low coercivity samples or layers while simultaneously allowing application of a high saturating field in the same measurement. While some other Vibrating sample magnetometers require switching to a Helmholtz coil, the EZ VSMs exceeds the field noise and resolution of those systems without the need to switch between magnets.
This video shows the precision and low noise of the field control, with ~40 mGs peak to peak noise even in the 20 kGs range.
As a result of the lowest field noise, the signal noise is also lower than in other VSMs. Especially at the gaps where most users will use the system most frequently, the gap big enough to use the oven/cryostat, the noise is considerably lower than the noise of competing systems (2.5x lower than our most common competitor). Combined with the larger sample space inside the oven/cryostat systems, the Signal to Noise Ratio is typically more than 5 and in some cases up to 10 times better than what is offered in competing systems.
Easy To use
The MicroSense EZ (Pronounced Easy) VSMs were designed with ease of use as one of the primary goals. The ease with which you can switch between room temperature and low or high temperature measurements is one of the examples that illustrates this design goal.
Where in competing systems you have to physically uninstall the oven or cryostat when you want to do room temperature measurements, the oven/cryostat in the MicroSense VSMs is mounted permanently on the magnet base and can be easily moved in and out of the sample area by flipping a lever as shown in the video below. This allows switching between room temperature and temperature controlled measurements in a matter of seconds. All the cables and hoses remain attached at all times and the system is always ready to use and doesn't need to be recalibrated when switching back and forth. This saves time and improves accuracy.
This video shows the ease of switching between room temperature and low or high temperature measurements in a MicroSense VSM.
The MicroSense VSMs offer a unique Torque magnetometer option for accurate and sensitive anisotropy measurements. Other options offered for the VSM are Magneto Resistance measurements, Magneto Electric Measurements and soon MOKE (Magneto Optic Kerr Effect) measurements.
Safe and Reliable
All MicroSense VSMs use an ultra-low noise air-cooled magnet power supply which is more energy efficient and safer and more reliable than most water cooled power supply designs. The very efficient electronics minimize thermal stress on the components and air cooling prevents the risk of condensation on high power electronics. The modern power supply design is also more compact than other power supplies, allowing us to fit all electronics inside a single cabinet, saving floor space.
The very fast field control also allows very fast measurements. Depending on the sample signal and coercivity, measurements can be done at 1000 Oe/s or even faster. This is especially useful for measurements that are normally very time consuming, like First Order Reversal Curves. The video below shows a FORC measurement performed in only 5:34.
This video shows the ease of setting up a FORC measurement and the speed at which it can run on a MicroSense VSM. This video is best watched in Full Screen mode.
VSM Models available:
|Model 10 VSM
||3.1 T with optional scalar coils and 2" poles
||2.3 T (2.0 T for best vector performance)|